Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

High school volleyball: Playoff action

Bob32

Chico, US
5856 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Bob32 Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Jul 2007
Thu 15-Nov-12 05:06 AM

It’s playoff time on the local high school girls volleyball scene. When Monday’s sports page showed that a match was scheduled to be played at nearby Hamilton High School yesterday it got my attention. Hamilton’s volleyball team features a 6’5” middle hitter that I have previously posted photos of on this forum. Hamilton has won four straight division championships, and is going for five in a row. I decided to catch the action.

It turned out to be not much of a contest. Hamilton swept Trinity High School 25-16, 25-23, 25-14. I was also a bit disappointed in the caliber of play. I’ve seen much better performances by other local high school volleyball teams. I brought home only 160 images. Normally the number is at least double that. Fortunately I was able to snag a few keepers.

Editing my images gave me a good opportunity to practice dealing with images produced under difficult lighting conditions. The Hamilton High gym has an ancient lighting system whereby digital images of sports action shot there vary greatly from frame to frame in terms of color and exposure. By shooting RAW and converting my images in Adobe Camera RAW I found it relatively easy to make the necessary adjustments to color temperature and exposure. After adjustments I ended up with a different color temperature on every image. Although I made a custom white balance camera setting for this gym it was probably an exercise in futility for a lighting system like this one. The next time I shoot an event in this gym I may use auto WB. Does anybody reading this have experience using auto WB in a situation like this?

I used the trusty D700/80-200 f/2.8 combo. Exposure was manually set at 1/500, f/3.5, and ISO 10,000.

Comments are encouraged.

Bob

1. This image and the next one feature Miss Jones, player #10, the 6’5” star of the Hamilton High VB team. She didn’t do as much spiking of the ball as I have seen her do in other contests, but she still ended up with 16 kills for the evening.

Click on image to view larger version

4. Miss Jones serves.

Attachment#1 (jpg file)
Attachment#2 (jpg file)
Attachment#3 (jpg file)
Attachment#4 (jpg file)