Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Still having trouble shooting football

ZoneV

US
3564 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
ZoneV Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jan 2005
Thu 15-Nov-12 04:02 AM | edited Thu 15-Nov-12 04:07 AM by ZoneV

After ten years of shooting football relatively occasionally, I'm still having trouble. I don't think it's a hard sport to shoot. Technically I think it's about 10x easier than hockey (I shoot some D1 hockey once in a while and feel it's the hardest sport to shoot, period).

I've probably shot about 15 football games in ten years (yeah, not that much). But compared to the number of games I've shot, I'm struggling more than I should be.

I know that one of the issues is that I don't have a really good feel for the plays and predicting what might happen. So I often have trouble figuring out where to point my camera. I probably miss more than half the plays since I point to the wrong player. I try to start on the QB sometimes and follow the ball...which brings me to my next issue...I just have trouble sorting out the mass of bodies. It's like a huge herd, and turns into a pile before you know it. The ball just disappears.

Some of this is also due to a vision issue. I technically need glasses for distance vision, but cannot wear them while shooting, and do not like/cannot wear contacts, so those are not useable for multiple reasons. This affects me more at night than in bright light. It really isn't an issue with any other sport, including hockey, where I can see the puck well enough to get by since it contrasts on the ice. But in football I tend to lose the ball when it's blocked by that hoard of bodies, and disappears into the shadows. I find it easier with small kids than at the high school level, because the kids aren't big enough to hide the ball as much as the highschoolers.

So I somehow need to train myself to get by these issues...need to learn the game better, and need to practice visual awareness to follow the ball better and compenstate for the vision issue.

Anyone else have these issues and maybe have advice on how to learn to track the ball and predict plays better?

Nikon user since 2000

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Still having trouble shooting football

G