Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Urgent advice on bike ride event needed.

Vlad_IT

US
1353 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Vlad_IT Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Sep 2011
Fri 02-Nov-12 11:04 PM | edited Fri 02-Nov-12 11:19 PM by Vlad_IT

Folks, Good Evening:

I need some advice.I did not plan to cover ”this” event, as my D7000 was at Nikon’s Service Center. But it arrived today and I decided to cover Alzheimer’s bike 25 miles ride, that some of my colleagues are participating in (I participate as well with my donation).

The route will go through some park roads as well as some streets. I’m hoping to use my car to reposition myself at least several times to cover pre-start gathering, start, route and finish. I will leave at 7 AM tomorrow morning but any advice tonight will be a great help.

I decided to put 70-200 f2.8 on D7000 as a main lens. Will have monopod ready and, most likely, an SB-910 mounted (will use or not it’s another story).

I think I will use my 16-85mm for after race events coverage. I’ll have P7000 (P&S) as a second camera (set to RAW) which i will use for wide shots and close-ups/macro, while 70-200 is mounted on D7000.

I never had experience with taking pictures of bike riding event so I'm a bit nervous as I’ll have to show the results to my colleagues.

I think I’ll stick to 1/320s shutter speed (it will allow me to use sb-910 if required).

1. Please advise if you think 1/320 might be too slow. It’s not a race, but I do anticipate some folks/athletes will ride fast. 1/500? 1/1000?

2. Please advise what shuter speed to drop down to for panning.

3. I usually use SB-400 on P7000 camera. It's is going to be a sunny day - for some extra power I can replace SB-400 with sb-700, but it might be not really convenient to carry lighter camera with heavier Speedlight)

4. I can substitute SB-910 with 5 batteries Sb-800 – but I’m not sure if I will have advantage here. What do you think?

5. I can substitute my 16-85 with 28-105 AFD, which has macro capability and also will give me extra 20mm on a long side. Wide side I can cover with P7000. Which lens ouf of two to use?

Thank you in advance,
Vlad

G