Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Volleyball: More shots of HS team with 6’5” player

Bob32

Chico, US
5947 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Bob32 Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Jul 2007
Tue 09-Oct-12 06:24 AM

I decided to lift my boycott of the gym at nearby Hamilton High School which is the home of the talented volleyball team with the 6’5” hitter. When I arrived at the gym last Tuesday night it seemed brighter than I remembered it the last time I was there. However, I still had to shoot the vball action with my D700 + 80-200 f/2.8 at 1/500, f/3.5, and ISO 10,000. I could also see that color variations from frame to frame and across individual frames was still a problem.

The main reason I boycotted the gym was the difficulty I previously had in dealing with white balance issues. At that time I was shooting only jpegs. Now I’m shooting only RAW, and it made a big difference in adjusting WB. I made a custom WB setting with my camera, but I still had to make significant WB adjustments with Adobe Camera RAW. In the end there was still some color variation across some of the frames, but results were a whole lot better than they were when I last visited this gym. No more boycott! (One HS remains on my boycott list. The lighting level there is so low there that I had to shoot at 1/500, f/2.8, and ISO 12,800. Ugh!).

The opposition was mediocre, and the Hamilton team had no problems in sweeping their foes 25-7, 25-8, and 25-14.

Comments are welcome.

Bob

1. The Hamilton team receiving instruction from the coach (largely hidden behind player #14). There’s no difficulty in identifying the tallest player on the team. She’s #10 on the far left. Nobody else on the team is taller than 5’8”.

Click on image to view larger version

2. #10 serves. In the second set she served six straight service points.

3. #10 about to swat one. This night she had nine kills.

Attachment#1 (jpg file)
Attachment#2 (jpg file)
Attachment#3 (jpg file)
Attachment#4 (jpg file)
Attachment#5 (jpg file)

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Volleyball: More shots of HS team with 6’5” pla...

G