Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Golf with the D800 - Tour Championship

ericbowles

Atlanta, US
10524 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005
Thu 20-Sep-12 01:25 PM | edited Thu 20-Sep-12 01:36 PM by ericbowles

I was out at the Tour Championship practice round yesterday with my D800E. Lots of good images under a wide range of conditions. The big difference was the dynamic range of the D800/E as this was a case where flash was not appropriate and lighting conditions were harsh.

I do have to say that the frame rate of the D800/E is not very good for golf. I was with a couple of other photographers who had D4's and the faster frame rate of those cameras is a huge advantage.

Here's an example of the distance the club travels in a golf swing. This is Rory McIlroy on the par 3 18th tee at East Lake. This was a second ball played for practice, so I took the shot during the downswing. These are consecutive frames on Continuous Hi. This was typical of my experience.

Click on image to view larger version

Here's another image with better timing right after impact. This is Dustin Johnson on the tee of the 17th hole.

I actually think the V1 is a good addition/alternative for golf - in combination with a D4. The ability to silently take shots during the swing, and the fast frame rate of a mirrorless camera is a nice compliment to a pro body.

With my gear, I would use the D800E and V1 in combination next time I shoot golf. I'd like a D4, but no more camera bodies.

By the way - my pick for the win is Ernie Els.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops - Smokies Oct 2012
Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera
Attachment#1 (jpg file)
Attachment#2 (jpg file)
Attachment#3 (jpg file)

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Golf with the D800 - Tour Championship

G