Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Noise? Artifacts? Over-processed? Comments please!

Bob32

Chico, US
5931 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Bob32 Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Jul 2007
Sat 31-Dec-11 04:28 AM

I’m posting for a second time here six photos that I recently shot at a high school basketball game. The purpose this time is different than it was the first time.

To solicit additional comments I also posted these same six photos in two sports forums at other websites. This is the first time I have posted sports photos on other forums, and the responses were definitely different than what I’ve come to expect here. Although I received generally favorable comments on the photos I also received complaints about noise, artifacts, “bad compression” and “over-processing.” One guy said that the photos were great, but that he could see a ton of noise. Another said that he could see halos above each of the heads. The man who mentioned over-processing said that his editor would kick them back. It seems that the pixel police were out in full force at these forums!

On my calibrated iMac monitor these images look good to me, and I am unable to discern the defects they report seeing. I didn’t receive any such reports from the Nikonians reviewing these images the first time around or reviewing any other of the many similar images I have posted here in the past.

I’m not quite sure what to make of this. I’m presuming that in the Nikonians Sports forum I am not operating in a sheltered environment where I’m getting a free pass in spite of committing image editing transgressions! I’m wondering if I accidently stumbled into a group of pixel peepers who are in the habit of examining images under high-power magnifying glasses.

Has anybody with experience on other forums had a similar experience?

Comments are invited.

Bob

Click on image to view larger version

Attachment#1 (jpg file)
Attachment#2 (jpg file)
Attachment#3 (jpg file)
Attachment#4 (jpg file)
Attachment#5 (jpg file)
Attachment#6 (jpg file)

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Noise? Artifacts? Over-processed? Comments please!

G