Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Basketball Action Photography Woes

ultrafast

New York, US
595 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
ultrafast Basic Member
Thu 24-Nov-05 01:53 PM

Hello!

I am in need of some help from the more experienced sports shooters on this site. I volunteered to shoot the local HS basketball team and I am having quite a bit of trouble. The trouble is that I have difficulty getting really SHARP shots, either because the focus is not on, or because the players are moving too fast. The setup I used was a D2x with 85mm f/1.4 and 50mm f/1.8. I had the camera up to ISO 800 and stopped the 50mm down to f2 and the 85mm to f/1.8, as I find the quality from either of these lenses wide open to be sub-optimal. I also had a great deal of difficulty framing many of the shots without a zoom lens.

My question is simply; What should I do to get better shots?

I do intend to get the 17-55mm f/2.8 zoom lens, will this make things easier? My worry with this lens is that it is significantly slower than either prime. I also plan to get the 50mm f/1.4, which hopefully I should be able to use at a wider aperture. Is the solution to bring my SB-800 and take shots from angles that wouldn't be too obtrusive? What do you pros at this do?

My somewhat disappointing efforts are online at www.incandescent-earth.com/hghs/bball

Please help me out here. THANKS SO MUCH!

www.incandescent-earth.com

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Basketball Action Photography Woes

G