Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Youth BB in Terrible Light

Aqualung

near Boston, US
6421 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Aqualung Silver Member Awarded for his technical proficiency and numerous positive critiques over several years, most notably in the Sports forum Charter Member
Mon 21-Jan-08 02:42 AM

Today they moved my daughter's 3:45 BB game up to 9:30 AM, in order to accommodate the 3PM (EST) Pats game....had to shuffle about 40 games.

We had to go about 50 mins away, to a really old gym, w/ bright sunshine streaming in through the windows. Ugh.

I tried all sorts of things, matrix, spot metering, +0.3 EV to brighten the subject, etc. I did not try putting D-Lighting to High, perhaps I should have.

We played a team that defeated us last week in a tourney by 4, so we had to make some adjustments. The other team has two twin sisters that are called "the twin towers" as they're super tall. We won! We were actually up by 9 w/ 3 mins to go, the other team came back to tie, but our girls hung in there and won by 4.

Short of fill flash, I'd be interested in any suggestions....do you just deal w/ it and try to place yourself as best you can? In the first half, I couldn't traverse the baseline as there was only 2 feet 'tween the wall & baseline. The other end, I could, but it was very much in the shadows. Would you have shot from the stand w/ a 70-200?

Thanks!

1. Here's an example of the terrible light....you can get a sense for the height of the twins.

Click on image to view larger version

2. From this angle, the light was good, but it was the only one.

3. Here's the other twin, dwarfing my daughter. The court was in shadows here.

Attachment#1 (jpg file)
Attachment#2 (jpg file)
Attachment#3 (jpg file)

Chris
=====
D300/D3s & more glass than I dare tell the wife

Olympus OM-D EM-1, Olympus 12-40ƒ2.8 & 40-150ƒ2.8, Panasonic Leica 25mmƒ1.4

Visit my Nikonians gallery.