Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Your thoughts on "event for hire"

dljw2000

Fargo, US
83 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
dljw2000 Registered since 26th Jan 2006
Wed 04-Apr-07 08:14 PM

I was hoping for some insight from Nikonian sports photogs on the topic of "camera for hire" for specific events.

Recently I was asked to commit to shooting an entire season of Girls HS basketball in winter and Soccer in the spring. I've been hoping to get this kind of 'in' with a local HS for quite some time, but was also hoping to do it on my own terms. Long story short, for the next year and a half, my life will be too complex with family and work to be able to commit to ALL home games in a specific season. This is rather heartbreaking to me as I absolutely love shooting sports, have a solid reputation of delivering quality shots, and would really like to earn some extra coin to feed the NAS beast.

So until I can commit, my thoughts turn to an alternative that I've heard of on and off in my home town from time to time. I've seen advertised in the local classifieds, sports photogs who are willing to hire out for an individual event/game to shoot just one (or two) athletes for the entire game. I believe they're gearing towards parents who can afford to pay for a dedicated opportunity for some outstanding shots of their kids during a specific game.

My questions are: have any of you gone this route in your sports photography tenures? If so (or have heard of this from other shooters or friends), what avenues have you advertised in to get the ball rolling? Classifieds? Word of mouth? Coaches? Also, what should a person charge for just shooting the event? $75? $100? Less? More? And what are the expectations of the 'parents' in this situation? Will they desire a DVD with a couple hundred shots, tweaked and ready for print at no additional cost? Would there be any follow up possibilities (for additional $$) of enlargement cropping, or artistic filtering in Photoshop, or 'sports posters' done in Photoshop of the athlete, etc.? Are there any other money-making avenues with the pics shot at the event that are fair and worthwhile to the client? Can this type of specific event shooting (with good end-product, of course) have any regularity to it over time? Have you run into disgruntled parents when they view the product on their uncallibrated computer monitors? If there's any quesions I'm overlooking, please feel free to fill them in.

If I'm going to try my hand at an occasional camera for hire, I'd need to hop on it now when spring sports (which is a short season where I live) is just now beginning. I certainly appreciate your thoughts and expert comments on the above questions in advance,

Don

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Your thoughts on