Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Charging Other Parents for Pictures...Issues?

Aqualung

near Boston, US
6421 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Aqualung Silver Member Awarded for his technical proficiency and numerous positive critiques over several years, most notably in the Sports forum Charter Member
Sat 03-Feb-07 02:11 AM

I browsed over in the "Turning Pro" forum, and it really didn't address my questions.

I've been taking lots of pics of both of my daughter's BB games (actually began doing it for my oldest daughter's field hockey games last fall while still on film).

As y'all obviously know, there's a cost associated, whether material (film/processing) or new (digital equipment) and post-processing time.

I usually post low res (72 dpi) pics of the other kids on the team (typically 100+ pics per game) since a) it's helping me develop my picture taking & PP skills and b) since I'm there taking pics, I figure other parents would appreciate good shots of their kid.

Many parents have asked about getting image files for prints. Given the amount of time I usually spend PP (4-5 hours per game, nearly 500 shots) I'm a little reluctant to go back and find images for them, etc...

I have found a decent hosting site here that does a good job, especially w/ the ecommerce hook (which I don't want to add to my personal site where I currently host the pictures). Around here, a 4x6 from a 'sports photo pro' goes for $8.99; I thought if I sold a 4x6 for $3.99 I'd be OK, i.e. a small revenue stream for covering the cost of exposuremanager, as well as my time, and helping my NAS fund.

Long winded background to my questions - note that I'm not interested in turning pro, but remaining an amateur parent...and that I'm not looking to offer these pics for sale to the general public. The buyers would pretty much be the parents, friends & relatives of the associated child.

I have two questions:

1) Can I copyright the pics? Or do I need to get a model release form from each parent/child? If I can't do a copyright, I can put text on each image like "for display only" that will "ruin" a print made from the low res image (which some have done).

2) With or without the copyright, can I legally sell the images? Some parents have downloaded the 72 dpi images, and printed them and are OK w/ them, but others would like really good files.

Thanks...

Chris
=====
D300/D3s & more glass than I dare tell the wife

Olympus OM-D EM-1, Olympus 12-40ƒ2.8 & 40-150ƒ2.8, Panasonic Leica 25mmƒ1.4

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Charging Other Parents for Pictures...Issues?

G