Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

light from a street lamp for a portrait

bobpilot

Washington, US
3855 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
bobpilot Silver Member Nikonian since 08th May 2007
Fri 21-Sep-12 11:36 PM

I usually shoot alone, however tonight I had a lady and her brother with me. I had an idea for a portrait-type photo using the light from a streetlamp. The young man is a avid photographer and served as the subject.

I used a tripod, ISO set to 1600, and the shutter speed was 1/2 second; not fast enough for a sharp image. I tried various white balance settings and none worked. When I attempted to resolve the WB issue in Lightroom, I realized that the globes were tinted. What will work to set the WB; gray card?

Is it possible to get a good photo of a person under these conditions? I don't need to, just wondered if it's possible.

I'd prefer to have the building in the backgrund further away from his head. There is a bright light that the pole is covering, so my angle was limited.

Click on image to view larger version

Attachment#1 (jpg file)

G