Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Monastery Architecture

rhb007

San Mateo, CA, US
81 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
rhb007 Silver Member Nikonian since 13th May 2009
Thu 18-Oct-12 05:16 AM | edited Fri 19-Oct-12 02:12 AM by avm247

I thought this would fit the Architectural Group because these monasteries are a unique architecture. This one, The Tiger's Nest, Taktshang Monastery, is very unique as it is located on a ledge of a granite cliff, 4000 feet high. Think of a church located on a ledge on the face of Half Dome in Yosemite, and you have an idea of this building. It is accessible only by a relatively steep hiking path about a mile long. All the material had to be brought to the site by carrying it. The legend is that Guru Ripoche who founded it, flew there on the back of a flying tiger.
I took the picture in a vertical to try to give some idea of height and location. I also have some larger shots of the building, but I didn't think they showed its unique location.

Click on image to view larger version

Bob

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Monastery Architecture