Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Oldest operating theater in the US?

Bob32

Chico, US
5856 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Bob32 Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Jul 2007
Sat 13-Oct-12 12:46 PM

Last September, while driving north on the California coast, we stopped in Arcata to visit an historical movie theater that I had seen mentioned on the Internet. This is supposed to be the oldest operating theater in the US. At least that's what the plaque on the exterior wall of the building says. (See photo #2). The Minor Theater opened in 1914. I have seen several references on the Internet claiming other theaters in the US to be older than the Minor Theater. Nevertheless, it's an interesting vintage building to observe, and I'm glad that we stopped to see and photograph it.

All photos were taken with D700 + 24-85 f/2.8-4. Exposure was shot aperture-priority at f/8 with Auto ISO set to float as high as 6400 and at 1/200 minimum shutter speed.

Comments are welcome.

Bob

1. This is it.

Click on image to view larger version

2. This is the plaque on the exterior wall.

3. A closer view of the theater. Arcata is lumber country, and I really like the treatment in wood of the theater entry area.

Attachment#1 (jpg file)
Attachment#2 (jpg file)
Attachment#3 (jpg file)

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Oldest operating theater in the US?

G