Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

What was your first impression of Yosemite?

spiritualized67

Western PA, US
3290 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
spiritualized67 Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas, most notably in Street & Landscape Photography Nikonian since 01st Mar 2007
Fri 08-Feb-13 05:09 PM

For those of you who have been there, just curious what you thought about Yosemite? Is the park overhyped, or is it near impossible not to be blown away by all the breathtaking scenery and shooting opportunities (yes, loaded question, lol)?

I've been toying with the idea of visiting for years, but have been reluctant to go because of all the stories I've heard about crowds. Of course, I'm thinking mid/late October, which won't be nearly as busy.

If I did go, I think I'd spend less time in the main areas (where all the cliché shots are captured), and more time visiting the lessor known locales - as the thought of visiting yet another tripod hole (as it is affectionately called) has kept me away thus far.

So generally speaking (taking into consideration that any experience is a personal subjective thing), did the park meet or exceed your landscape photography expectations?

Sure, we've all seen the breathtaking shots. But many of these come from photographers who have frequent access to the park or have spent years gaining location and ideal timing insights. That's not to say that a photographer visiting for the first time (who has done some decent research) won't be able to capture some worthy shots, but you can do that anywhere.

~Dan
www.danielstainer.com

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: What was your first impression of Yosemite?

G