Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Zoo Photography - Last Minute Tips

longroad

AU
101 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
longroad Registered since 27th Mar 2007
Mon 04-Jun-07 09:49 PM

Im heading to the zoo this weekend for the first time with my D80.

I've done a bit of research about zoo photography but havent picked up a whole lot of tips.

I dont know if I'll be shooting primarily through glass or whether it will mostly be fencing. I imagine it will be a bit of both.

I don't have a rubber hood which I know can be an advantage when shooting through glass enclosures.

I also dont have any filters or a tripod (yes, still alot of shopping left to do!).

The lenses I am taking:
70-300 VR
18-135mm
50mm 1.8

I envision I'll be leaving the 70-300 on most of the time. I'm worried about blur since I dont have a tripod.
I can get clear pictures with the VR obviously, but they are rarely perfectly sharp once I crop them in photoshop.

I imagine I'll be at 300mm for most shots since there will be alot of big cats and they usually sit as far away as they possible can. So I hope I can get some relatively sharp shots without a tripod.

I'll be shooting all day so midday sun will be an issue (assuming it will be sunny).

If anyone could offer any small bits of advice for shooting at the zoo, I'd be grateful

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Zoo Photography - Last Minute Tips

G