Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Bird Hunter

dda53

Pasadena, US
387 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
dda53 Registered since 31st Oct 2008
Fri 17-May-13 02:46 AM

Had a chance to get back to Laffitte’s Cove in Galveston, Texas the last part of April. Really wanted to see some more neotropical migrants. Before I got there the Bird Hunter was already in place. The first photo was his second catch. Just a feather left as he got that one down pretty fast. After making two other misses (I don’t know how he missed with lightning strikes) he did something real odd. He had some type of plant or algae growth on his head. Perhaps this was causing the misses by slowing him down. He raised high into the air and then slapped himself down hard into the water. I believe this cleared all the growth off his head. One smart snake. The next strike was on target as the rest of the pictures show. It’s hard to imagine flying non-stop for about 18 hours from South America. All they want is some food and water and maybe take a bath before their next leg north. In an instant, it’s over. Every time a bird came close to the snake the birders and photographers yelled trying to scare the bird away. Nature is Nature.

Nikon D4, Nikon 500mm, f/5.6, 1/500, ISO 1600

Click on image to view larger version

Nikon D4, Nikon 500mm, f/5.6, 1/500, ISO 1250

Nikon D4, Nikon 500mm, f/5.6, 1/800, ISO 1250

Nikon D4, Nikon 500mm, f/5.6, 1/640, ISO 1250