Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

New member lens question.... Safari / Wildlife

Kat50

US
11 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Kat50 Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Dec 2012
Fri 14-Dec-12 05:54 PM

Hello to all!

I am sure this has been done but I am in a quandary and need advise from DX shooters. I have researched this to the max and find myself frozen on the final choices so I need some help from folks who have shot these on the D7000.

I am going on safari with friends next year and am getting my gear together so I can shoot enough to be proficient (or as proficient as I can get) with my wildlife shots. Since I have time I plan on taking some classes etc. For me, this is a once in a lifetime trip so I want to get the most out of it that I can.

I have the good fortune of having access to two D7000 bodies and am trying to decide on lenses. I will be trying to minimize lens changes which is why I am going with the two bodies.

Short body: 16-35 f4 VR or the 16-85 f3.5
Long body: 70-200 f2.8 (jury still out on version VR1 or 2) or the 300mm f4
both using either the TC14E11 or TC17E11

I have shot a little bit with all of them and like how they all feel so now it's all about versatility and shot quality.

FYI / The 300mm f2.8 is out of my price range and I don't think I will get enough use out of it to justify the cost. (I would like to stay married )

Shooting from beanbags and a Gitzo 3551 monopod with a Markins Q10 ballhead (shot gimbal style) RRS feet/plates and RRS L bracket on the short camera so I can mount it to the side on the monopod. I don't like to shoot off the top of the monopod because it leaves me feeling unbalanced and because this way I can shoot it like a gimbal head without the extra weight.

Any advise / recommendations gladly accepted!

Thank You!

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: New member lens question.... Safari / Wildlife

G