Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Working in RAW in EX vs JPEG Fine

gtm

Searcy, US
1451 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
gtm Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Feb 2002
Wed 16-Jan-08 01:20 PM

For my first 2500 images I shot my Fuji S2 in JPEG Fine Mode to get used to the camera. (I know that is a lot of images just to get used to a camera):). Part of it was laziness. I really liked the images it produced and had very little work to clean up in PSE2. However, my last shoot I decided to try RAW mode. I have to say that the originals were not anything to right home about, especially when you had to convert the images to TIFF in EX, which is another step in the process. It almost felt like I was scanning my film again.
However, when I started playing with the Fuji EX converter something amazing happened. I found I could adjust the exposure settings in increments, adjust the white balance either by camera settings (sunny, shade, incandecent, etc) or adjust the white balance by temperature. There were other settings as well such as sharpening and tone curves but I did not mess with them. If I read the description correct from Nikon's Capture software, these are instructional data sets that will not affect the image data. Not sure if this does the same thing in EX. However, the image that one can produce is outstanding. I don't have a comparison image to show, but here is a simple flag shot in RAW mode. I never got a JPEG Fine mode image to look this way. This now limits my CF card (512MB Lexar 24X) from the 104 JPEG Fine images I was able to get to only 38 images in the RAW mode. I would be interested in knowing what settings other S2 users typically use in the EX converter before saving and what drawbacks they see. I would like to see a larger displayed image to work with myself. But I cannot complain too loudly because the results are great. Am I overstating the case for shooting in RAW?

Here is the flag. RAW Mode, 100 ISO, Nikkor 28-70mm, Moose filter, WB on Sunny, f4 @ 1/750 sec handheld. I adjusted the WB by using the temperture slide bar and adjusted the exposure 1/3 stop in EX. Saved in TIFF format. I then added contrast and sharpening in PSE2.

GARY
The Arkansas Nikonian

Click on image to view larger version

Attachment#1 (jpg file)

GARY
The Arkansas Nikonian ;)

Marshall Photography

My Gallery

G