Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Which m4/3 to choose?

snegron

Cape Coral, Florida, US
1696 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
snegron Silver Member Nikonian since 05th May 2007
Thu 02-Jun-11 12:23 PM

I have been looking into (more like drooling over) the m4/3 systems for some time now, and I would like to get one once and for all.

I still have my 4 DSLR's tucked away safely at home (two D200's, two D1X's) with plenty of nice glass (zooms and primes). Carrying any one of these cameras feels like a workout.

While I absolutely love my Lumix LX3, I want something a bit quicker with a bigger sensor.

The main use for the new camera will be travel photography (and every day use). My wife and I decided to get annual passes for Disney this year, so I will be spending lots of time at the parks (not my favorite place to go, but it was the cheapest alternative since we live about three hour's drive away from the "Magic Kingdom").

After some research I narrowed it down to two cameras; the Lumix GF2 and the Olympus EPL2. I also like the G2 and newer G3, but they seem to be too "DSLR-like" for my taste; for that matter I could easily get a Nikon D3100 which would be roughly about the same size.

In terms of image quality and low-light performance, I have read mixed reviews on the Oly EPL2 and Lumix GF2. How well do these cameras handle shadow noise? How is the dynamic range on these two? How responsive are they from click to click?

I am currently still using CS2 to process my images, so I am assuming I would have to upgrade to CS5 in order to get a newer version of Adobe RAW that could open up the RAW images of either the GF2 or the EPL2. I have used Silkypix (with my LX3 and TS1)and was frustrated beyond words, so I would have to add the expense of an upgrade to CS5 to my purchase in order to get the most out of RAW images.

To sum it all up, I am looking to stay away from the whole DSLR look. I want a fast, compact camera capable of images with IQ equal or better than what I get with my D200.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Which m4/3 to choose?

G