Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

X100 -- First Impressions

Kit Sims Taylor

Kingston, US
1883 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Kit Sims Taylor Registered since 16th Feb 2006
Thu 19-May-11 04:57 PM

My long-awaited X100 arrived Monday and yesterday I had a chance to wander about downtown Seattle with it.

The optical viewfinder is impressive -- like using a Leica M, but with all the shooting data you might want (you can select it item by item) overlayed on/around it. And the image quality? Equal to my D300 at low ISOs, far better at high ISOs.

On my initial outing I stayed manual for aperture and shutter speed but went auto ISO, setting 200 as the based and letting it go up to 3200. I set focus on manual, which still allows a quick AF by pressing the AF lock button on the back. There is a DOF scale in the viewfinder (overly conservative, probably will be changed in a firmware update), which makes zone-focusing easy.

This shot is at ISO 3200 (f/8, 1/250). First is the full shot out of camera JPEG, with lowest NR and Velvia settings). Second is cropped from the RAW with no sharpening or NR, third is after cleaning up the noise and sharpening a tad in Lightroom.

More on this camera's delghts and many quirks later.

KST
www.arovingvision.com

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Click on image to view larger version

Attachment#1 (jpg file)
Attachment#2 (jpg file)
Attachment#3 (jpg file)

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: X100 -- First Impressions