Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
dub

56 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
dub Basic Member
Sun 20-May-01 02:08 AM

From May 18-20, Brisbane is hosting a Photo Imaging 2001 Show. I was there for the first two days and have tried some Nikon and Canon gears. I would think like to share what I have seen and felt with you all if you don't mind.

I have read a lot of hot discussion about Nikon vs Canon, here I don't want start another war, I just want to tell you what I have seen and experienced by myself. I believe that for majority of the Nikon and Canon gears, they are on a par. But they do show some differences between the two systems, which may affect some people's choices.

In one thread (https://www.nikonians.org/dcforum/DCForumID6/328.html#),
I have written about the slow autofocusing speed of the F80 with AFS300/4, I was so disappointed. I even didn't believe that was true, so I went the Show again in the afternoon, this time I tried the AFS 300/4 with F100, not much improvement at all compared with F80. So now I can say the technician from Maxwell wasn't correct about the reason for the slow autofocusing. I believe that if we tried the same thing outside, the autofocusing speed will be faster, but that is not the point. In the same exhibition hall, I also tried the Canon EOS 3 with the 100-400 IS USM, the autofocusing speed is much faster compared with F100 with AFS300/4. I even put a 1.4 teleconverter between the EOS 3 and 100-400 IS at 400mm setting (the maximum aperture become 8), the autofocusing with central sensor is still reasonable fast. When I tried the F100+1.4 teleconverter+AFS300/4, it did autofocusing, but most of us will not bother to use the autofocusing if we see how fast it is, even slower than a turtle.

In the Show I also saw the prototype of the Canon EF400/2.8 IS USM "DO" telelens. It wasn't the final product, but the final one will not be much different from what I saw. Both size and weight is significantly reduced even though the front element of the lens is still big (not reduced at all compared with the current version of the EF400/2.8) to keep the maximum aperture of 2.8. If you can handhold the Nikon 80-200/2.8, you will certainly have no problem to handhold the EF400/2.8 IS USM DO. I have no idea what the Diffraction Optics is, but I was told it will be certainly in the Canon L line. How the optical performance will be will be seen soon in this summer, but the autofocusing speed is just amasing, extremely fast. Nikon has reduced the weight and size for the 300/2.8, 400/2.8, 500/2.8, but still no body would like to handhold the revised versions of these long lenses because they are still too big to handhold.

I have been lured by the Canon EF100-400 IS USM for long. When Nikon got an equivalent part, I was so delighted. But after reading some review I was disappointed by the VR. Firstly it hasn't got an SWM inside the lens making its application limited; secondly, the optics of the VR within 200-400 range is not so attractive, at least not as attractive as the Canon's. It seems Nikon hasn't got the capability to put the VR and SWM into same lens.

I have also been hoping that one day Nikon will put a 24 PC with tilt into market, just like the Canon TS24/3.5. So far the hope has only become a dream. Nikon has only got the 28/3.5 PC, but without tilt.

Nikon has been very proud of their flash system without know Canon's E-TTL flash system at all. With Canon's 550EX, you don't have to use ST-E2 to control the slave flash, the ST-E2 has been built into the speedlight. The master speedlight can control the output ratio between the master flash and slave flashes. Nikon has got something similar with SU-4, but it is not built into the SB28. You will have spend extra for the SU-4. Also the SU-4 is actually only a wireless switch, when the camera monitors the enough exposure has been reached, it cut off the master and slave speedlight via SU-4. The output ratio between the master and slave cannot be set using the SU-4.

I have been struggling with myself for a long time as if it is worth to shift to Canon. As a poor student I have to consider the difference of the cost between the two systems (some of the prices from B&H has been listed below).

........................Canon...................Nikon

17-35/2.8...............$1230...................$1450
28-70/2.8...............$1120...................$1460
70(80)-200/2.8..........$1240...................$1495
100(105)/2.8 Macro......$430....................$650
100(80)-400 IS or VR....$1520...................$1700
EOS 3 (F100)............$880....................$985

I am not particularly fascinated by some Canon's uniques which Nikon doesn't have, say, the TS24, EF50/1, MP-E65mm/2.8 macro, which achieve 1-5 x life size magnification, EF100-400 IS USM, the "DO" telelenses. But I do like to own the TS24mm and 100-400 IS USM. I have been hoping to use Canon lenses with Nikon bodies. But that is only a beautiful dream. It is really painful and costly process to shift systems. Do you think I need to wait until Nikon has got the equivalent part.

Hope this post hasn't offended anybody, Cheers, Bing

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Should I wait?
                                        Reply message Not sure what it is...
                                             Reply message RE: Not sure what it is...
                                                  Reply message Admin locks this thread

G