Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Vintage Leica M3 and Linhof Technika

jcbeck593

Los Angeles, US
23 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
jcbeck593 Silver Member Nikonian since 14th May 2009
Mon 01-Feb-10 02:42 AM

I have just come across these 2 cameras while cleaning out my father's house this weekend. He passed away several years ago and it's been hard for me to come back to the East Coast to start this massive undertaking. I live in the LA area and the time had come to start cleaning out his office and den. He was a die-hard enthusiast to say the least.

Among the various Canon Pellix (he had 2), Canon AE-1, numerous lenses, teleconverters, bellows, tripods, and several other SLR's and a Canonet QL-17 (I think), I found a 1963 Leica M3 and year unknown Linhof Technika.

Both are in very good to excellent condition and the Linhof included the factory case, lens boards, 2 lenses, bellows, glass back plates, among other things, and even some film that expired in 9/1968! The lenses say "Xenotar" 1:3.5/135 and "Synchro Compur" on the inside rim. I am not familiar with this camera and was wondering what some of you think. Have I uncovered a diamond-in-the-rough? I am not finding much information online about this Linhof. I see that they are still making cameras in Munich.

The other camera of note is the 1963 Leica M3. The camera has the factory leather case and the glass looks great and very clean. This one I am thinking of having it serviced or at least inquire about it. The serial number is also one of the highly sought-after "1+ million" numbers indicating it was produced in early 1963. Any ideas on the cost of at least a CLA on this classic Leica? Any problems to look out for? Any information at all would be greatly appreciated.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Vintage Leica M3 and Linhof Technika