Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Stylus Epic exposure program and choosing film

dlminehart

73 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
dlminehart Basic Member
Mon 17-Jun-02 08:23 PM

Anyone know the program used by the Stylus Epic (the 35mm f/2.8 non-zoom one) in adjusting exposure? I assume it's somewhat like the "P" method on my Nikon N80, where the camera picks both an f/stop and a shutterspeed, with a bias toward picking hand-holdable shutter speeds. But I've not seen any documentation of how a given EV at a given film speed translates into lens opening and shutter speed.

I ask because I'm trying to figure out which film to load for a European tour. I've seen suggestions of using 400 ASA film, with the argument being that otherwise the lens tends to give TOO much weight to using large apertures (or, conversely, to fast shutter speeds); i.e., instead of 1/250 at f/11 on a sunny day with ASA 100, the camera would use 1/1000 at f/5.6. The result is shallow depth of field. Using 400 ASA film, the argument goes, the camera would stop down to 1/1000 at f/11.

However, I've also read that the camera tends to NOT stop down enough when 400 ASA film is used, resulting in overexposed pictures. This writer said to stick with 100 ASA.

So, what's your experience been with this camera?

G