Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Leica shots from Florida...part 1

f8bthere

DeLand, Florida, US
1326 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
f8bthere Awarded for his contributions to the Resources Basic Member
Sun 10-Mar-02 11:30 PM

I thought I'd post some images I made this weekend in Daytona Beach. It is Bike Week, where about a half a million (no exaggeration!) bikes and riders come in from all over the world and converge on our little town. As far as photography is concerned, you have anything you are interested in... people (both candids and possed shots of drunk bikers), urban landscapes (swamped with bikes), macro (unbelievable detail on some of those motorcycles)... as I said any area of interest for any photographer.

Last year I did an experiment / exercise in which I limited myself each day of the event to one type of camera and one type of operation. It was a way to shake out the cobwebs and make myself think. Look at the linked thread here for how that worked out.

https://www.nikonians.org/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboard.cgi?az=read_count&om=112&forum=DCForumID38

Sorry, but last year I was a virgin as far as scanning was concerned so I could not share any of the photos from that year.

This year I did a similar thing, but rain and bad weather reduced the amount of shooting time for me. This year, I used a Leica M6 with only a 90mm lens for one day, and on the next day I used a Nikon with manual focus 35mm f/1.4 and 105mm f/2.5 lenses.

I have the shots back from the Leica and have put a small percentage up on a site for public viewing. I will also post the Nikon shots soon, but they are not back yet and there will be a bit of time to reduce the several hundred shots to a realistic presentation.

Regarding the Leica M6, it is a great camera with the 35mm and 50mm lenses, but I never enjoyed the 90mm lens on this camera. It is large in relation to the body and slow in operation when compared to the tiny tabbed normal and wide lenses. Additionally, the viewfinder is not as good since the magnification is constant, so with the 90mm lens mounted, you have a tiny postage stamp sized frame surrounded by area that won't be recorded on film. I forced my self to use only this lens just for the pressure of using something that is not normal for me... to grow a bit. Anyhow here are just a few photos of things that I shot... nothing great, just a day out with a camera and a million subjects. See photos at:

http://www.photo.net/photodb/presentation.tcl?presentation_id=143050

Coming in a couple of days... the Nikon shots (part 2).

Al

G