Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Landscape with Rangefinder

dub

56 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
dub Basic Member
Sat 28-Apr-01 12:16 AM

I have read the thread about the rangefinder camera raised by Era and joined by mike, Al,... etc. It was very interesting, informative and helpful. But, I still don't understand a basic question. Isn't good to use RF for landscape photography? Please don't feel offended if I ask some naive question as I am a very beginner (Some of my message had really got people annoyed or offended in the past).

Due to the fact that wide angle and ultra wide angle lenses with RF have inherent advantage over lenses for SLR in term of optical quality, my simple thought suggests that the RF should be a good complement for shooting landscape using ultra wide angle lenses. The problem with landscape shooting using RF seems the inconvenience using filters. But considering that most useful filters for landscape are polarisor, neutral grad, and warm up or color conversion filters, for experience users I think they don't need to look at the effect the warm up filters produces before firing the shutter. As for the grad, certainly they can align it without looking through the lens. When the polarisor is needed, they can still align it by seeing through the filter first, then put it on the lens. Sure it will take longer time, but landscape photography is a slow process anyway.

When talking about shooting people unnoticed, I think the process of pointing the camera at people is more obtrusive than the clicking sound the shutter produces. It is more likely the click sound is inundated in the background noise on the street, in this sense, both RF and SLR are same.

I like era's decision to Choose Leica M6 over Contax G2. To me it is really unnecessary to have automation for ultra wide angle shooting. Also it seems the to put a silent wave motor inside the Nikon AFS 17-35/2.8 doing nothing good except increasing the price ridicularsly. As we don't expect to use wide angle lenses to catch fast action like sports or wild life.

I will appreciate it very much if some experienced used give some feedback on my simple thinking. My apology first if my naive thinking offended anyone.

Cheers, Bing

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Landscape with Rangefinder
          Reply message RE: 17-35mm AF-S and alternatives
                                             Reply message If you really want to do landscapes...
                                             Reply message RE: If you really want to do landscapes...
                                             Reply message RE: If you really want to do landscapes...

G