Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
Thorpe

UK
69 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Thorpe Registered since 14th Oct 2004
Tue 28-Dec-04 11:09 PM

I post this here because I think it's the best place for it...!

I'd like to try to spotmeter and set my own exposure rather than rely on the CW pattern of my Mamiya 645. To me, it would be a learning experience, and may in time allow me to move to a cheap Hasselblad unmetered 6x6 system (I like the format, I don't like cropping and wasting 645 negative, and if I do invest in a 6x6 system, I have no intention of spending money on a metering prism). My question is what FOV of spotmeter should I look for (1 degree? 5 degree? 10 degree?) in order to take landscape images ranging from general views of hills, valleys etc to isolating groups of boulders, trees or fence posts? Beyond spotFOV and metering accuracy, is there any other particular feature I should look for? I have read a few books and articles, and believe I have the theory of metering. The practice is what counts though!

I have read about Sekonic and Pentax digital meters, but cannot compare them directly because I have no practical experience just yet. There could well be others I don't yet know about. I'd be looking to buy used unless persuaded otherwise, but luckily money is not absolutely the driver (up to a point... at most £400/$700). I have no use of flash metering modes or anysuch.

And the thing has got to be solid and reliable enough for me to trust it for years to come, even if it is routinely squeezed into a coat pocket with the dog leash and car keys (OK - it can live in a slipcase in the pocket). It shouldn't have any fancy batteries or recharging regime - AA or easier. Any ideas or suggestions?

Thorpe

Thorpe

G