Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Followup to earlier thread about medium format

jonkun227

Salt Lake City, US
469 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
jonkun227 Registered since 20th Apr 2004
Mon 16-Aug-04 02:32 AM

Okay, so I followed the advice of a few people on here and picked up a TLR on eBay. I set up snipes on a number of them (Yashicamat, Diacord, Lubitel, even Seagull), and finally won a Lubitel 166B for $23.50. The advice was to play around with it to see if I like the format before investing more in a better camera.

Anyway, I'm now wondering how to use it. I'm sure I can find a manual for it online, but it's more basic stuff I'm wondering.

A) Assuming I'm using the exact same film (maybe Fuji NPS 160), will I get the same exposure from 1/125 at f/8 from medium format as I will on my Nikon? Are the apertures equivalent or do I need to learn a whole new set? (For instance, does the "Sweet 16"/"Simple 16" rule apply to medium format?)

B) Am I going to get hooked to the big negative? I know you can't answer this for me, but I'm mildly concerned about this one.

C) Can you recommend a good, reliable, basic, inexpensive light meter? I don't need lots of bells and whistles or 1/10 stop accuracy or anything, just a basic meter.

Thanks!

- Jon

As I sat there watching the light change from red, to green, to yellow, and back to red again, I wondered what life was all about. Was it really just a lot of honking and yelling? Sometimes it seems that way

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Followup to earlier thread about medium format

G