Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Where does anyone learn about Med Format Cameras / Lenses?

kmeinerth

136 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
kmeinerth Basic Member
Mon 24-Sep-01 04:11 AM

1st, I love my Nikon camera & lenses, but I'm thinking that if I wanted to get a great landscape shot that I really wanted to blow up & hang up on the wall, then a medium format is the way to go. There is no beating Nikon for sports, wild life, hiking, street shots, but I suspect that the big negative of the med format cannot be beat for large prints.

I understand the different size negatives: 6x4.5, 6x6, 6x7,...

What is the difference in cameras & lenses for different brands:
Bronica, Contax, Fuji, Hasselblad, Mamiya, Pentax, & Rollei?

I understand that some brands and / or models do not have meters, nor auto-focus, & some are also rangefinders, but if having a good internal spot & averaging meter & seeing thru the lens & filters was important, then how would any of you decide what to buy?

Seems like Hasselblad is considered the best. Why?

Are the Hasselblad Zeiss lenses that much better than the Rollei Zeiss or Schneider lenses or the Contax Zeiss lenses?

How do the other brands: Bronica, Fuji, Mamiya, or Pentax lenses stack up vs the Hasselblad, Contax, & Rollei Zeiss & Schneider lenses?

JRP, I've noticed from your profile that you also have a couple of Hasselblad cameras. I suspect you use them for landscapes. Why Hasselblad?
What made you choose the 500 body & Zeiss lenses?

How does one narrow down the choices & then go try them out to find one that feels good?

Thanks for any education you can give me & / or any pointers to some good resources for understanding in advance.

Kim

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Where does anyone learn about Med Format Cameras / ...

G