Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Yashica Electro GX shutter problem

Martin

2 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Martin Basic Member
Tue 24-Jul-01 08:00 PM

I've just purchased an old Yashica Electro GX in very nice condition... but (there's always a "but") after I got the thing home and started playing with it a bit (with batteries but without film) I discovered an odd problem.

About every third time I cock the advance lever, as I pull on the lever, the shutter opens without my touching the shutter release button. And the shutter then stays open until I press the shutter release button.

This only happens about every third time I cock the lever. The other times, everything seems to work as it should. The situation is most noticable when I have the back open as I cock the lever; my action of pulling the lever corresponds to the movement of the shutter opening, and then the shutter stays open until I press the release button. I can see right through the lens, which is clearly wide open even though my finger hasn't yet touched the release.

I'm really hoping that someone out there has some clues for me. I should point out that, aside from this problem, everything else about this camera is in excellent condition, as though someone has left it carefully stored in their closet since 1979. Maybe this problem is why this camera seems in almost "as-new" condition?

G