Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Should I buy this camera??

Chiriqui Charlie

PA
26 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Chiriqui Charlie Registered since 31st Aug 2013
Wed 25-Sep-13 07:07 PM

Like most everybody here, I have a couple DSLR's and a handful of lenses, but need something smaller. I travel a lot through Central America on a motorcycle, and it just isn't practical to carry a big kit. While on my moto, I have been using a Canon SX130. I am pleased with the pictures, but it is still too large for easy pocketability. It has an 11 times zoom, but I am almost always on the wide end. The thing that frustrates me the most is the extremely long lag, especially when using flash, the only times I am succcessful is when I tell the victim to hold still for 5 or 6 seconds!

I was in a store the other day, and they are closing out a Pana GF3C with 14mm lens for $199.00. I see it listed on the web for about 500 bucks, (it would cost even more to have one shipped to Panama), so the Price is tempting. They also have the 14-42 lens for $99, would probably take less for a package deal.

I think this camera would solve my lag problem, and the lens is faster. Problem is that it is the same size as my Canon, and even bigger when you consider that I would need to carry the extra lens to get even a 3 times zoom. I also se here that some folks aren't exactly thrilled with these two lenses. And my perfect camera would also have an optical viewfinder and a flash shoe.

Would the switch be worthwhile for me, or should I stick with my Canon? Or maybe try to find an S110?

Cruising around Central America on a motorcycle

Visit my Gallery

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Should I buy this camera??

G