Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

A new Fuji X-Pro1 owner has found freedom

JPJ

Toronto, CA
1327 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
JPJ Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Aug 2009
Sat 17-Aug-13 02:07 AM

When I sold off my DX kit and committed completely to Nikon's full frame cameras I did so always intending to find a camera I could use as my daily shooter. My DX kit was smaller and lighter than my FX kit, but it was not small or light enough to cure me of OMSSS (Old Man Sore Shoulder Syndrome). I own more camera bags now than I can count and I ultimately have come to accept that I am just not cut out to haul a DSLR and lenses around on a regular basis. Planned shoots are fine, and for action photography I am yet to find a better solution than a DSLR.

For everything else however I wanted to find something portable that I could carry with me all the time if I choose. I tried the p&s route but the image quality wasn't good enough. The Sony RX1 was interesting, but ultimately too expensive for a dedicated lens camera for me. I wanted to get something that had some room to grow for me (I say for me because for some a dedicated 35mm camera is all they need to grow, so I am not trying to discount that).

After looking at all the options, testing some out, I ended up with the Fuji X-Pro1 and I can tell you I feel free for the first time in a while when it comes to photography. No longer am I weighing (literally) the pros and cons of taking my camera with me when I go out on the chance I come across something interesting. No more OMSSS!

I purchased the 35 1.4 and 60 2.4 lenses to start and I am amazed at the quality of Fuji's equipment. Everything is metal, everything fits together tight and everything has a beautiful lustre finish to it. The mechanics of this camera are spectacular. Also, as a long time Nikon shooter, and long time critic of Nikon's service policies (customer paid shipping, wait times that can extend over a month, etc.) I almost shed a tear when I came across Fuji's warranty. Manufacturer paid shipping, 7 day turn around, or a loaner in lieu thereof. Nikon and Canon should pay attention to what real service is.

Speaking of which, the Fuji's are by no means perfect cameras. Anyone who has looked into them will be aware that the original firmware kind of sucked. That being said, Fuji admitted the problems and appears to really listen to customer feedback and has worked quickly to release updates that have eliminated or vastly improved the bulk of the complaints. Another thing Nikon and Canon can learn from.

Don't get me wrong, I am not about to get rid of my Nikon equipment, it is still going to produce better image quality, and the autofocus is the best available. Pound for pound I will take my X-Pro1 for most shots though. It produces great results up to 6400 ISO right out of the camera (it renders beautiful JPEGs) and I can carry around the entire Fuji system (including all the parts I don't own yet) in the space that my gripped D800e takes up.

Here is literally the first shot I ever took with it, a grab shot with no editing, sharpening or noise reduction. I had the newly charged battery in the camera for all of a few minutes, had thrown the 60mm on it and was doing my usual - I'll read the manual later lets get shooting thing. I noticed however, that my daughter was looking rather miffed about the fact that daddy was playing with his new toy instead of her, so I decided to capture that look of jealousy. Of course I put the camera down after this shot...the Fuji will have to play second fiddle to my first baby!

60mm, f/2.4, 1/55 Sec., 6400 ISO, Pro Neg Standard:

Click on image to view larger version

Jason
Attachment#1 (jpg file)

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: A new Fuji X-Pro1 owner has found freedom

G