Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

M4/3 not meant for me?

snegron

Cape Coral, Florida, US
1696 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
snegron Silver Member Nikonian since 05th May 2007
Tue 13-Aug-13 12:54 AM

A few months ago I purchased a Panasonic G5 with two lenses (14-42mm and 45-150mm). I was eager to give Panasonic a try because I have been happy with several other Lumix cameras I have owned (FZ50, LX3, TS1, TS3). Great craftsmanship, durable, reliable cameras; very nice IQ from the LX3. All good reasons to dive into the m4/3 world via Panasonic.

I'm not 100% happy with the images I'm getting with the G5 though. The learning curve with the G5 has been much more difficult than I anticipated. While the G5 feels great in my hand (size and weight are perfect for travel), I can't seem to get an image I'm happy with. Main issues are lack of detail (NR is set to off, shooting in low ISO), WB is hardly ever accurate and focusing is cumbersome (pointing to a focus area on the LCD doesn't get me sharp focus shots, neither does selecting the focal point with the rear cursor button). The images I get with my old D200 and even with my LX3 are sharper, show more accurate WB, show more detail and show better tonal range than what I get from my G5.

My frustration is starting to turn to disappointment. I am contemplating either selling the G5 kit (replacing it with a Lumix LX7 for travel), or keeping it as a novelty camera knowing that I can't count on it to get important images.

I'm starting to think M4/3 was not meant for me. About two or three years ago I purchased a new Olympus EPL2 with kit lens. I was extremely disappointed with not only the lackluster image quality but with the poor workmanship of the camera as well. Day 2 of owning the EPL2 the battery overheated, grip began to come unglued. It turned me off regarding m4/3 until I decided to take the plunge with this new G5.

This post is not meant to troll in any way. I'm just simply disappointed and frustrated with the results I'm getting. Maybe there is a "magic formula" setting that will let me get better images from my G5. I will continue to search for that "magic setting" but with less enthusiasm (and hope).

p.s. I don't think optics has anything to do with it at this point. I have used my manual focus Nikon 105mm 2.5 AIS, 50mm 1.8 AIS, 50mm 1.4 AIS and several others. The image being recorded on the sensor is simply unimpressive no matter what lens I use.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: M4/3 not meant for me?

G