Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D200 or G5 for cruise?

snegron

Cape Coral, Florida, US
1698 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
snegron Silver Member Nikonian since 05th May 2007
Fri 14-Jun-13 06:56 PM

Soon I will be taking a cruise and the usual question is plaguing me; what camera do I take? I will definitely take my little waterproof P&S Lumix TS3, but I am debating which primary camera I should take; my D200 or Panasonic G5? I doubt I will be taking any excursions, but one never knows.

Here is what I have:

-D200 with either 17-55mm 2.8 AF-S or a few primes (35mm 2.0 AF-D, 85mm 1.8 AF-D, 180mm 2.8 AF-D).

-G5 with two kit lenses (14-42mm 3.5/5.6 Mega OIS / 45-150mm 4.0/5.6 Mega OIS) and a couple of Nikon manual focus primes (24mm 2.8 AIS. 35mm 2.0 AIS. 105mm 2.5 AIS).

Pros and cons so far:

- D200; (pros) I know how to use it no matter what lighting conditions or circumstances are thrown my way. The D200 is second nature to me. I have been pushing it to the max for the past several years. (cons); heavy, occupies lots of space with lenses, I would hate to loose it if I get mugged at some port or excursion.

- Panasonic G5: (pros) Very light weight (compared to the the D200), lenses are light, even with additional manual focus Nikkors the setup takes less space on my camera bag, relatively noce IQ. (cons); I have only had it for a few weeks and I haven't really had a chance to experiment with it or get to know it all that well. The first images I got from it were nice and sharp, my recent images look as if thre is too much noise processing applied to them (I tried changing my settings to turn off NR, increase sharpness, but my images don't look sharp. Camera seems to refuse to focus on what I want it to thereby causing back focus issues. Chances are there is probably some setting I messed up, but I am getting sharper, much better results from my old LX3 than with this new G5.

So there it is; should I go with tried, true and extremely heavy old D200, or should I go with newer, lighter, extremely complicated G5?

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: D200 or G5 for cruise?

G