Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

My Lumix G5 Arrived Today; First Impressions

snegron

Cape Coral, Florida, US
1696 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
snegron Silver Member Nikonian since 05th May 2007
Thu 09-May-13 08:59 PM | edited Thu 09-May-13 09:23 PM by snegron

After some research into the m4/3 world I decided to purchase a Lumix G5. In addition to the kit lens (14-42) I went ahead and added a 45-150 4.0/5.6 lens as well (plus an extra battery). B&H had a sweet deal that if you purchased the G5 with kit lens you could get the 45-150 for only $45.00 more!

So far I have had the G5 for only a few hours, but I already charged up both batteries and snapped a few shots of my kids under different lighting. The G5 is roughly the size of a D3100, only a tad bit smaller and thinner (much less bulky). In terms of weight, the G5 is heavier than I expected. Because of its smaller size you would think it is lighter, but is heavier than what it looks. Not "gripped D200 with 17-55mm 2.8" heavy, but definitely not a camera I would wear around my neck for any amount of time. Overall opinion on ergonomics is that I like the way the G5 feels in my large hands.

I haven't read the instructions yet, but I was able to figure out the G5 rather quickly. Several external buttons, but most are easy to figure out. As far as the touch screen goes, I must admit it is pretty cool! It's like a smart phone screen; same type of interface. The viewfinder has an eye control sensor that detects when your eye is close to the viewfinder and switches from rear LCD display to viewfinder instantly. I don't understand this technology. It freaks me out to think that some sort of laser device is pointing to my eyeball! :0 I'll figure out a way to disable this feature so I can feel better.

As far as the EVF goes, it is not as annoying as the one on my old Lumix FZ-50. Definitely not an optical viewfinder, but I can get used to it. The rear LCD flip screen is very handy. I already used it to get a shot of me and my kids. I like the fact that I can swivel it to face the body so it can be protected from scratches.

In terms of responsiveness, I found it to be quite fast. Focus was quick and no perceptible shutter lag. Feels like a mini DSLR! The button layout works well for me. The only button I feel a bit nervous about is the power button; I'm afraid to turn it the wrong way and break it by mistake. It will take some getting used to until I remember ("off is toward me, on is away from me").

Image quality is way better than I expected!! JPEG's straight out of the camera are sharp and show good detail when viewed at 200%! I'm impressed!

Verdict:

Definitely a keeper! This is the travel camera I was waiting for! My only regret is that when I ordered the G5 I should have purchased the lens mount adapter that lets me fit my Nikon manual focus AIS lenses on my G5 body. Now I have to patiently wait another week until the adapter ships from B&H!

I will post some pics soon (tied up with work for the next few days).

p.s. For some odd, unknown reason no one seems to have an opinion of the G5. I posted on another forum dedicated to m4/3 cameras and got no responses! I think I am the only person in the world who has purchased a G5!

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: My Lumix G5 Arrived Today; First Impressions

G