Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Sony NEX-7 HDR Med - D800 Std & Tone Mapped

FFN

Hudson, US
1196 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
FFN Gold Member Donor Ribbon. Awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Charter Member
Wed 17-Apr-13 12:50 PM

Trying to duplicate the Sony HDR effect with my D800, I shot the same scene with both cameras at the same time. With the D800 images, I tried in camera HDR and then tried to tone map a standard D800 image with PS6. The PS6 shot worked out better than the in-camera HDR - much sharper. The Sony is SOOC, no pp at all. It is the last image.

The first two shots are D800 and then the NEX-7. The Sony was set to use HDR Paint set to medium and the D800 was SOOC. FYI the Sony used the Sony 16mm pancake with a Sony fisheye converter attached to the front and the Nikon the 16-36mm Nikkor.

When printed, the NEX-7 shot is beautiful and looks very much like what I saw that day. The D800 in-camera HDR was not usable and the tone mapped image was off-color. With time I may get the tone mapping routine to more closely match the actual colors and will keep working at it. If I succeed, I will post the comparison again. Having recently purchased the NIK suite, I will try that on the D800 image.

Click on image to view larger version

Visit JamesDane.Com.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

G