Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

A two-day trip with only the Fuji X10

olivierrychner

Boudry, CH
5265 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
olivierrychner Gold Member  Awarded for his long standing high level of commitment to the Nikonians community and demonstrated excellence in the art and science of photography. Nikonian since 03rd Jan 2005
Mon 01-Oct-12 10:42 AM

Hi!

I'm probably not the first one here, but it is a first for me: I went hiking in the Graubünden area (five hours of train away) of Switzerland last week-end. Given the long hike involved on Saturday, I had decided to limit the weight I would be carrying and so ended up with a backpack for food, drink and clothing, plus the ThinkTank Retrospective 5 containing the x10, the small EF-X20 flash, a table-top tripod, too many SD cards, batteries, cable release, polarizing and ND8 filter. As an aside, thanks to ThinkTank for their raincovers: they work!

I had also strapped my Gitzo GT1540T to the side of the backpack, and I had a generic A-S plate in the bag as well. But later to that...

I knew I was thus prevented to use a powerful telephoto lens for birds and wildlife, but I hoped to be reasonably well-equipped for lanscapes and I knew I'd take a chance at night photography.

I mostly used the camera in EXR auto mode, but in some instances I elected to use raw, in low light and when I wanted to control shutterspeed: I then used M for size, and I pushed DR to 400%, obtaining good 6MP images.

Here's a first image taken in EXR mode. The camera chose DR, because of the great differences between the dark and light areas of the image, and indeed nothing is "pierced" by highlights or "buried" in shadows (sorry, French expressions roughly translated!)

Click on image to view larger version

Minutes later, a grand vista offered itself to us. Remembering how our father sometimes asked me to put on my red rainjacket even on hot summer days for contrast, I asked my brother to stand on the path with his bag in his red raincover (the raincover, sadly, was a necessity of the moment...). Compositionally, I should have placed him more to the right or left, but here the important bit is the 120-degree panorama:

You'll notice that the sky is overexposed in large patches: the pano mode implies less sophisticated exposure control, visibly. I could, maybe I should have tried 180 and 360 degrees, but I tend not to like panos that are too wide, so I limited myself to that...

The last image for today is one where I was not entirely happy with the straight-out-of-the-camera result and used a bit of PP in LR3.6 to bring up the darker lower part of the image. A bit of that and of blacks allowed for something much more presentable:

In the next episode, night shots...

Olivier Rychner

Auta i lomë! And my Nikon's only awaiting daylight...

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: A two-day trip with only the Fuji X10