Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Fuji x10 - a couple of images

blw

Richmond, US
28560 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM
blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004
Fri 21-Sep-12 07:32 AM

I found myself near St Paul's cathedral in London last night. I used my x10 to make these:

Click on image to view larger version

Fuji x10, 7.1mm (28mm equiv), 1/15th, f/2.8, ISO 800, fill flash, hand held. Auto EXR says that it used multiple exposures to improve dynamic range. B&W conversion done in Lightroom, not in-camera. Also did a graduated filter to reduce the left side of the frame. This is a really hard shot to do with a typical P&S, because it juggles the fill flash (yes from the built-in!) on the statue, the dark trees and the very bright dome. With most P&S I think I'd have had to bring UP the brightness of the foreground statue, while here I had to REDUCE it in post.

This one was shot in A mode, 9mm (36mm equivalent), 1/40th, f/2.2, ISO 400, hand held, no Auto EXR. Captured in RAF and converted to B&W in LR4.

I was really surprised by this one. It's just a shot, no special photography knowledge - literally point and shoot. Given that it's a night shot and the wide dynamic range in visuals, I'm pretty surprised. I did tone down the highlights on the dome just a little; from memory by about 1/3rd stop.

This one took some rotational editing, because I used my 3" tripod on the top of a wooden bench. I ended up getting the shot kind of skewed off to the left, which I had to undo in Lightroom with a considerable (4.5°) rotation. This was 7mm, 2 seconds, f/5.6, ISO 100. Image stabilization was ON, because the tripod is definitely not as stable as a Gitzo 1348!

I'm impressed with the little camera's ability to get things done.
Attachment#1 (jpg file)
Attachment#2 (jpg file)
Attachment#3 (jpg file)
Attachment#4 (jpg file)

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Fuji x10 - a couple of images

G