Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Got a Pentax spotmeter V ;

Larry E30

US
3528 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Larry E30 Silver Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 27th May 2009
Sun 16-Sep-12 05:30 AM | edited Mon 17-Sep-12 03:22 PM by Larry E30

Now this should be fun...I'm thinking of keeping it(got it for $80.00),(was hoping to sell for $175ish - but-they are going for less -guess I should check FIRST... !),
any words for me.(Oh, I got this one with cash/Crage's list)

A nice challange for me.

I think I already know how to measure for gray - med. grayish for mid/average exposure,if I measure white/bright - put that(ev)reading on plus 2+ stops(like if I want to measure the white and want it to come 'in range' white),or if shadow/dark is more important - I could measure black/darkest and minus 2+ stops.

I already have settings for this...
last gut attached a scale where selection arrow would be
...so - '5' is arrow(or mid.),'7+' is white(this is where I'd put my EV reading # ,say ev18...for white to be white),and '3-'would be if my darkest was important - to reproduce as recorded black(and not under exposure).

Now really - what do I know !?. I just got this thing - and never used one before.

So - any KIND/GENTLE words/advise would be welcome.
I think I can do this -but it is no reason for me to be pigheaded.

And I think it's fun to share with you guys ... someone else might be learning too !
Larry

Added Note ; I'm trying to get a grip on (light meter)and zone system.
Say white - it meters gray - then add 2 stops to it for proper exposure.
I spot on white ...then guesstimate zone 7 ...that's the same as adding 2 stops to gray Zone 5.Correct?
This (seems beter to me) - and more what it's all about.

Since I can only sell this for $40.00 over what I bought it for...I'm gonna keep it - and try to understand useing it.

Seems to me - in general for me - to meter important,brighter area(not white or highlights)...then place it at just below Zone 6(toward 5) = the kind of exposure I'm looking for...brights in...NOT WASHED OUT/OVER-EXPOSED.

Oh - I'm also trying to teach myself - by putting Zone system and Spotmetering ...pages/articals ...on my (fav.'s bar) to read and try to make sence of.... !.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/larry_e-30/sets/

G