Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

X10: the learning curve

Drbee

Naperville, US
5927 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Drbee Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Aug 2004
Mon 27-Aug-12 04:00 AM

I got my X10 today. Now I'm trying to climb the learning curve. I like what I'm discovering with the camera. What is surprising me so far is than in my initial attempts to process the RAW images in LR4, I'm having a tough time beating the the Auto EXR output. I guess this is the fun part.

My wife has been wanting to keep her camera in jpg mode so she doesn't have to wait for me to the the RAW conversions and it gives her more control on her sharing. With the LX3, straight jpgs were a bit problematic but RAW was pretty straight forward. The X10 in Auto EXR may just be the answer we are looking for in everyday snaps.

I've put it through a lot of "sampling" paces. I really like what I'm seeing. I even like the auto dynamic range handling to a degree. We have some photographically harsh lighting in our home that illuminates our travel nicknacks and the AutoEXR handles it with aplomb.

Lots of stuff to learn, but if I had to stop learning here I'd be pleased with the camera output in either jpg or raw at "L" size and if absolutely necessary in AutoEXR with just reduced size jpgs.

It looks like a great pick-up and go camera that can satisfy a group of users with a large range of abilities and offer something worth while for nearly everyone.

Roger
It's still, ISO, aperture and shutter-speed, right?

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: X10: the learning curve