Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
blw

Richmond, US
28561 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM
blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004
Wed 15-Aug-12 09:07 AM

Anyone used one of these? They are the iconic camera of the *serious* 1930s or 1940s rail fan. They aren't excessively priced (around $500 in seemingly very nice condition with the classic Ektar 127mm/f4.7 lens). At $500 it's a bit expensive to use only as a prop, and since it is a 4x5 with at least a modicum of rise/shift/tilt movements, I'd be inclined to try to use it. Of course if I did that I'd have to upgrade my scanner to something that can handle 4x5" negatives, and it now occurs to me that I don't know anything about handling large format negatives in the darkroom...

Am I nuts for thinking of using such a thing?

Hmm... I *guess* it must have a tripod socket, so a universal plate would work to use it on a modern Arca-Swiss head? These are so old that I am far from confident that even if it has a tripod socket, the threads could be totally different...

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Speed Graphic

G