Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
Floridian

Tallahassee, Florida, US
2937 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Floridian Silver Member Nikonian since 11th Feb 2007
Wed 06-Jun-12 08:39 PM

I notice Olympus and Panasonic are introducing some high-end lenses for their M4/3 cameras. Panasonic has a new 12-35mm f2.8 coming out for $1300, and Olympus announced a 75mm f1.8 for $900. (Wow, the new Nikon 85mm f1.8 is only $500!). Those add to other high-end lenses already in the lineup, like a Panasonic Leica 25mm f1.4, Olympus 45mm f1.8 and Panasonic 7-14mm wide angle.

They sell more affordable lenses too, but it's interesting to see them targeting higher-end photographers with those high performance lenses. It seems to show a different strategy from Nikon, where the assumption seems to be that the smaller the sensor, the lower the target market. Are the M4/3 companies right that just because someone wants a smaller camera, they don't necessarily want a cheaper camera with fewer features and lower performance?

I've been considering something smaller and lighter than a DSLR for casual use, and to me a camera like the Olympus OM-D looks more attractive than the Nikon 1 cameras, especially when you look at the lenses available for it. (You can get adapters for both systems to use your F-mount lenses.)

Should Nikon be offering higher-end alternatives for their C-mount cameras, or are the M4/3 makers aiming too high, at a market that might be too thin?

Randy

G