Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
RhinoDoc

Colleyville, US
17 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
RhinoDoc Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Feb 2008
Sat 12-May-12 02:49 AM

I have been a Nikon fan for probably 25 years. I understand that what you start with is what you will continue with. I can't imagine giving up all the lenses I have collected over the years to switch bodies.

My daughter (19, just finished her first year of college) had a class where she had to use a camera. The one available to her was a Canon. She really enjoyed it, and wants a "real" camera before we go to Italy this summer (she has used dummy cameras and her phone, but understands the advantages of a good camera and would like to learn how to use it properly). I was really leaning toward the N3200 and took her to Best Buy to look at it. She was disturbed that she couldn't tell if her settings had enough light by looking in the viewfinder or even at the LCD display other than the little lights to the right or left at the bottom of the viewfinder. Apparently, on a Canon (or at least the one she was using) the view goes from dark to light as you change aperture and speed. In other words, if the speed is too fast the view is dark, but if you slow it down, decrease aperture or increase ISO it looks better.

I am inclined to get her what she is used to, a Canon, as much as it is antithetical to me. I think she would never be happy with a Nikon, no matter how much better it is. All she wants is a viewfinder that looks dark if her settings are off.

Opinions?

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: New photographer

G