Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Crop factors and mirrorless question

dasbose

Escondido, US
116 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
dasbose Registered since 19th Jul 2011
Tue 17-Jan-12 08:57 PM

Hi all,

I'm intrigued by some of the mirrorless options coming out these days. I’ve seen some fantastic photos with the X100, NEX system, and others on Nikonians. The new X-Pro 1 and rumors of the OM-D are peeking my interest, too. These compact/larger sensor cameras could prove to be a valuable tool when shooting events where I need to get PJ-style shots without being too obvious.

Currently I use two DSLR’s: a D700 and D7000 – both excellent cameras as we all know. However, I do feel like a fish out of water when I use the D7000 due to crop factors. Sure, a 35mm has a similar FoV like a 50mm on a D7000, but it still has the distortion/curvature of a 35mm; anything smaller than a 50mm on my D7000 just feels awkward to me.

In researching this, I’ve read that – for example – a 35mm on a rangefinder such as a Leica doesn’t not have as much distortion as a 35mm on an SLR. This has something to do with how close the back of the lens sits in relation to the sensor (or film). I have never used a Leica or rangefinder, so I could be wrong. Please feel free to correct me if I am.

With this in mind, I’d like users of the NEX or X100 to tell me if the any Focal Length on either mirrorless has less curvature than a the same focal lenghth on an APS-C DSLR. If so, could you post a comparison? I think the x100 is 23mm, right? Could someone compare that to, say, a 24mm lens on a APS-C dslr? If the distortion is less, I think I can enjoy a mirrorless with an APS-C sensor. Otherwise, I think I'm in for a long wait for a full frame mirrorless to come out.

Visit my website.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Crop factors and mirrorless question

G