Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

The X100 after two months.

pjr

Manotick, CA
2246 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
pjr Registered since 26th Dec 2005
Sat 03-Sep-11 01:31 AM | edited Sat 03-Sep-11 01:39 AM by pjr

Well, not a review, but for those interested, I thought I'd post a few of my thoughts on this camera, after using it quite a bit for two months now.

I was very excited waiting for this camera, and knew more about it before I actually had it than any other camera I've ever owned.

I should mention that I've used the optical viewfinder exclusively, except for macro shots, which I really haven't done many of.

In short, although I'm positive about it overall, I do have some mixed feelings, so, to be concise, I'll list what I think are some of the good and the bad (these aren't anywhere near complete lists).

Good:
- image quality is fantastic, up to and including ISO 1600, ISO 3200 is also very good with some noise reduction in lightroom - in this area it rivals my higher resolution D7000 (I only shoot with it in RAW).
- ergonomics and the feel of the camera when shooting are great. Unfortunately, I lost a soft-release button I had put on it, as they are very prone to loosening, but that's not the cameras fault.
- build quality seems excellent.
- it looks cool (to me) and, yes, that did have something to do with my buying it, but not all.
- I find it simply very fun to shoot with!
- it's small size makes it very unobtrusive and excellent for street shooting.
- it's the first camera I've wanted to always have with me, which has allowed me to take advantage of more photo opportunities than otherwise.

Bad:
- it very occasionally doesn't focus - not often - for unknown reasons.
- it very occasionally locks up or starts acting unpredictably, and has to be turned on and off to get it to behave again (this has only happend to me a few times, but not at good times).
- the exposure comp button is way too loose, you must check it at least every time you turn the camera on, which is easy to get used to.

I've never used the camera's manual focus, so I can't comment on it, but in manual focus mode I've used the AFL/AEL button on the back to focus, with no problem.

I spent last week in NYC and, one day, I decided to take the X100 only, for the whole day. That was the day it acted up for a while as mentioned above, and by the end of the day, I couldn't wait to get back to my D7000, which never has a single problem. In other words, I feel a lot more confident with the D7000 (or D300 for that matter) and wouldn't want to rely on the X100 for a really important shoot.

I've been asked if I'd recommend it and answered that it isn't for everyone; you do have to live with and work around these quirks sometimes, but, if you're willing to, it's a very rewarding and even endearing camera, and I have no regrets about buying one and no plans to get rid of it. It is a 35mm lens companion to my D7000, and, when I want to really travel light or just have a camera, I enjoy having it only along with me. In short, the good far outweighs the bad, imho!

Cheers,

Phil
A Canadian Nikonian
My portfolio: www.pjr99.500px.com

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: The X100 after two months.

G