Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Sony unveils new cameras A77 + others

Sportymonk

Rocky Mount, US
814 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Sportymonk Registered since 16th Jul 2007
Wed 24-Aug-11 02:19 PM

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/products/story/2011-08-24/Sony-unveils-new-camera-lineup/50112922/1?csp=hf

Excerpts below, but first my comment. I guess I never really understood how the mirror works in relation to autofocus. Why is autofocus eliminated if the mirror is up?

Sony will unveil four cameras and a video camcorder today, including one that targets serious photographers.

The issues with Japanese camera production from the tsunami are now in the past, says Christopher Chute, an analyst at researcher IDC.

Sony's $1,399 SLT-A77 digital SLR (body only) boasts a 24-megapixel image sensor, which is substantially larger than other cameras of its class. It can shoot up to 12 frames per second and produce video clips up to 29 minutes long while constantly auto-focusing.

Canon rules the lucrative digital SLR market, commanding a 46% share in 2010 and 19% of the overall camera market, which includes low-cost point-and-shoot models, according to researcher IDC. Nikon has a 33% share of SLRs and 17% overall; Sony is at 12% and 16%.

With the A77, Sony has its first serious camera for pros and prosumers. Pop Photo tech editor Philip Ryan calls it a "breakthrough" that "shows a real commitment to high-level imaging."
The breakthrough comes in the form of a "translucent" mirror. Traditional SLRs use a mirror to compose the image and reflect it back through the viewfinder. During "live view" video making, the mirror moves out of the way, eliminating auto focus. Sony's solution is a see-through mirror that doesn't move.

Nikonians is the Smithsonian of Nikon knowledge. If there is a question they can't answer, I want to see the question.

My Gallery: www.HLDPhotos.com
My Blog : www.HLDPhotos.blogspot.com

G