Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

My Lumix TS3 arrived today

snegron

Cape Coral, Florida, US
1696 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
snegron Silver Member Nikonian since 05th May 2007
Sat 30-Jul-11 09:18 PM | edited Sat 30-Jul-11 09:22 PM by snegron

I received my Lumix TS3 today, and so far I am impressed with its features. It is a gadget-lovers dream! For all the "anti-gadget/gizmo-in-a-camera" rhetoric I have spewed in the past, I am shamefully entertained with this new little camera!

I was quite happy with my little old Lumix TS1, so much so that I was eager to purchase the TS3 (skipped the TS2 because I was content with my TS1). I selected the blue colored model. It is more of an electric blue than I had anticipated, not as toned-down as what it appeared on my computer screen (I need to work on color correcting my screen).

My main reason for getting the TS3 (as was with the TS1) was because I liked the idea of having a waterproof/shock resistant point and shoot. I enjoy being able to take pictures in the rain or water without worrying about damage to my DSLR or lenses (underwater housing for my D200 would be overkill for walking around Disney). I knew in advance that the IQ would be nowhere near that of my D200 or even my Lumix LX3, but my goal was to at least get usable shots. Surprisingly, the IQ was not as bad as I thought it would be.

The cool new gadgets on the TS3 are GPS, barometer (atmospheric pressure), altimeter (sea level and under water depth measurements), compass, 3D images, self-correcting time, plus better underwater (40' for 60 minutes) and shock resistant performance than the "old" TS1. The fun thing is that you see all the measurements live on screen!

As for the image quality, I would say it is about the same as the TS1. It's a point and shoot. The new battery/SD card door on the TS3 locks more securely than the TS1 door. The buttons on the TS3 are also improved (the mode dial has been replaced with a button which is a major improvement as you no longer have to worry about mistakenly moving the dial with your thumb as I did so many times on the TS1).

Overall, I'm happy with this new little Swiss Army Knife of a camera. It will take some time to figure out all its features, but at least I know I won't have to worry about breaking it in the process! If I could only get it to make phone calls I would be even happier!

p.s. I still have not given up the search for the ideal light-weight travel camera. The search continues...

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: My Lumix TS3 arrived today

G