Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Best bang for the buck – Kodak Pro DCS-14n, Kodak DCS 7

Nego8tr

Near Richmond, US
8 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Nego8tr Silver Member Charter Member
Fri 04-Oct-02 07:15 PM

Best bang for the buck – Kodak Pro DCS-14n, Kodak DCS 760/720x or a Nikon D1H/D1X.

I am a serious amateur who enjoys photography and the distraction it offers from the business world.
I am afraid we are headed down that slippery slope that most of us have experienced in the PC computer world, i.e., endless upgrades and gee whiz options. This phenomenon offers an opportunity.

Prices may be starting to slip with the announcement of the Kodak Pro DCS-14n and perhaps will offer one the ability to purchase a high end digital body at a reasonable price! The question is: What is a reasonable price?

I am trying to make an informed buying decision that will take me out 18-24 months. I believe by that time we will truly see innovation in digital design. I really don’t mind being behind the curve and I know my investment will take a financial hit. I just don’t want to spend my bucks prematurely for a system that at this moment in time may be overpriced.

REQUIREMENTS:
• My wife and I travel and therefore find ourselves in some strange places with varied photo opportunities (not always exotic).
• The camera must have accurate and fast autofocus.
• The body must be able to absorb a substantial hit from a tree branch or pushy tourists.
• Weather is a factor from time to time, mostly heat and humidity.
• The weight is not a factor. I have adjusted to lugging around a F5, AF-S Zoom f2.8 Nikkor 28-70mm and AF-S Zoom f2.8 Nikkor 80-200mm.
• The digital output needs to be high enough to print 11 x 14 and the occasional 13 x 19 on my Epson 1280.
• The great bulk of the photos will reside on a CD-ROM.

I would welcome all comments and purchasing scenarios.

Question: Do the rules allow this message to be posted on two separate discussion groups? I just noticed there is a new topic "Nikon based hybrid digital cameras."

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Best bang for the buck – Kodak Pro DCS-14n, Kodak...
Reply message RE: Best bang for the buck ? Kodak Pro DCS-14n, Kodak D

G