Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

A question that has bugged me for years

Airborne1

Lytham, UK
113 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Airborne1 Basic Member
Sat 04-Mar-06 12:06 PM

Can anyone answer this question:
For years I have bought or looked at tripods. On all the Quick Release (QR) plates I have seen has been the screw for connectinmg the plate to the camera.
Also on the plate had been a spring loaded pin. What the heck is this pin for. I suspect that it goes back to the Box Brownie camera era when it was an anti-twist pin. But in all the times I have connected my camera(s)/lens to the plate I have never used it. In fact, in a way, its been more of an hinderance than an aid.

Also while I am posting, can anyone tell me, objectively, which is quicker and easier to use: The Manfroto/Velbron QR plate or the Arca Swiss/Kirk QR dovetail plate. This question also involves putting the lens in bags/backpacks etc with the plate permanently fixed to the lens/camera etc. Cost to convert to these plates/QR shoes are another factor. I have 3 Tripods, camera & Tele lens so would have to convert all of them.
Please, I am not looking to start WW3 over still lol

Airborne1

G