Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Bogen 719D "Digi Tripod" - Anyone used this?

Tony B

Eau Claire, US
354 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Tony B Registered since 31st Mar 2002
Wed 29-May-02 01:20 AM

Hi all,

I currently own an inexpensive Velbon tripod I bought at Walmart many years ago, and has filled my needs. Recently, I purchased an N80, 28-105 D, and 70-300ED, all with an MB-16 Grip, and it seems to be a bit much for the old Velbon... I took a look at some Bogen tripods at a camera shop out of town, and wow.. those things are just plain rock solid compared to that plastic Velbon.. I was amazed to say the least.

So.. I decided to upgrade to something a bit more sturdy. I have been reading the posts on the "budget" tripods uder $100. I would like to have it light enough to carry around or to take backpacking, but strong enough to be more sturdy than the old plastic Velbon.

I have narrowed it down to a few choices... the Velbon Maxi 343E, the Bogen 3405 Jr., or this Bogen 719D "Digi Tripod" I saw on the Bogen website. Here's a description from Bogen :

"The Digi 719B is a lightweight marvel that can meet any shooting need. It includes an aluminum ball head with a single "ratchet" locking lever as well as quick-action leg locks for fast set-up and breakdown.

Four section tripod legs permit a folded length of only 20 ½" making the 719B ideal for fitting into luggage. Once on location, the 719B extends to 5ft 4". It weighs under 4lbs, and can support digital (and film) camera's up to 8.8 lbs. In addition, the innovative three faceted center column design prevents any column rotation and is reversible for low-angle shots.

A carry bag that sports twin shoulder straps for backpack-style carrying is also included."

I am leaning toward the 719B as it seems tall enough (extends to 64" with the center column), is only 3.7lbs, and comes with a nice case. It has a Ball head vs. the pan and tilt of the "Jr" tripod wich people seem to prefer around here. And it is priced right at $89 from B&H.

Has anyone used or played with this tripod? Seems like a good buy in comparison to the Velbon, even though it weighs a tad more. Is the weight rating of 8.8lbs sufficient for my equipment (N80, 28-105 or 70-300D, MB-16, sb-50dx)?

Thanks in advance,

Tony B

Cheers,

Tony B

G