Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Wimberley Sidekick vs. Gimbal Head

Gregory_Zimmer

US
99 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Gregory_Zimmer Basic Member
Tue 03-Jan-06 03:16 PM

Hi all. I do mostly landscape photography and some wildlife, though I hope to do more soon. I recently purchased the 400mm f/2.8 AF-I. I have a RRS BH-55 head, which I love, but think I will need something more to support and facilitate ease of use of the massive 400mm.

After reading most of the nature photography web pages, I have decided on a Wimberly setup. I am now trying to decide between the sidekick (which mounts on the ballhead) and the gimbal head (which replaces the ballhead). As I said, I shoot primarily landscape and don't envision too many dedicatd wildlife shoots for quite a while, so the sidekick seems more attractive because I would only have to carry a +/- 2lb unit that I can add to my ballhead, and would not need to switch out the ballhead and gimbal if I wanted to change lenses. Price is also quite a bit different on the two models, although given what I paid for the lens (though I got a good price on ebay) that is secondary to ease of use and a solid mount for the 400mm AF-I. The sidekick seems to make the most sense for me but I would appreciate feedback on either the sidekick or gimbal head, and if anyone has used both and can compare the two that would be tremendously helpful.

Also, I have a Gitzo 1258 (6x model of the 1228). I realize that at some point I may have to upgrage to a 13-series Gitzo, but think the legs will work for now since I plan on using the 400mm sparingly until I develop more wildlife shooting skills. Does anyone have experience using the 400mm AF-I or an equally massive lens on the Gitzo 1228 or 1258?

Thanks for all the knowledge you all impart every day.

Thanks,

Gregg

G